I am the new and proud owner of a desktop machine (the cheapest PC I’ve ever bought — and the other two were cheap netbooks(!)). Last time I was in Eindhoven, I bought some lengthy VGA cable. See, the desktop isn’t as mobile as a netbook, and I like to connect it to my TV. Especially after the movies Agnieszka made of my performance in the show turned out to be too much for the processors in my little netbook… I hope this desktop does have the juice to handle them.
Anyway, I hooked up the telly to the TV last night. Major bummer: resolution sucked.
Reboot, using the monitor, and then swap. Guess what happened: resolution was ok for a split second, and then it crashed down to the 1024×768 world of inferiority here (and yes, I’ve been a geek/nerd long enough to remember days when I didn’t even dream of such resolutions). The TV didn’t get recognised by my Ubuntu install (although it did previously on the netbook, weird).
Solution for Ubuntu:
- Compute a new modeline for the desired resolution with cvt
cvt 1920 1080
- Enter this new mode using xrandr –newmode
xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60" 173.00 1920 2048 2248 2576 1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
- Add this new mode to your current output connection
xrandr --addmode VGA1 1920x1080_60
The values listed are for my case, YMMV.
Edit: not related, but still: seems I need to set the audio delay in VLC-player to -300ms. I figured it’d vary depending on .. well, whatever, but it seems to be rather constantly lagging just a tad behind the video. Not a problem, but weird anyway. Solutions welcome!